So I’ve been trying to
prove this theory I have that, without Blackberry Messenger, Whatsapp, Facebook
and Twitter, one will eventually lose touch with everyone they know. Nobody
bothers to call or sms nowadays. It’s quite pathetic actually.
Twitter tyrannically
wouldn’t allow me to temporarily deactivate my account (it was all or nothing)
so I did away with the other three. And… I’ve been tweeting compulsively ever
since! Yep, seems that I’m addicted to the cybernetic world and can’t go a day
without putting something “out there.” Only about 0.5% of the people I know
actually see the tweets but that doesn’t stop me. I think since I can’t
deactivate it; I’ll delete the app off my phone so I don’t have access to it
anymore.
But honestly, it’s
actually not that difficult to be chat-free.
If you really think
about it, there are usually just one or two people that you want to be in
contact with. The ones you’re constantly checking your phone for. The REAL
reason you can’t part with your mobile. If it weren’t for him or her, you
wouldn’t really be bothered. Not to say that everyone else doesn’t matter! More
like… you could live without. So, there’d be no sense of panic if your cell
gives in and has to be sent for software upgrades and what not.
That’s how it is for
me anyway. And to be in the actual company of these people, eliminates the need
of the phone in general.
I've noticed something quite strange. Sometimes, when you call/visit someone, they somehow have way less to say then what they
normally do over text. I think all these chat-apps have thieved us of our
ability to interact verbally/on a personal level.
So I don’t really know
what the point of my experiment is. It’s quite obvious that I will lose touch
with everyone because everything’s so high-tech and fast-paced these days and
if I’m not keeping up, I’ll be left behind.
In light of the chat-for-free era, there's a new way to distinguish who your real friends are... Those who make an effort to stay in touch no matter what- even if it’ll
cost them a few cents to return an sms/call.
No comments:
Post a Comment