Tuesday, April 26, 2011

cut or keep?

So if you know me, you know I’m the kinda person who hates conflict. Fighting for others isn’t an issue. But standing up for myself is. I don’t really know why. Maybe its cuz I don’t want to see other people being taken advantage of but when it comes to myself I’d rather bottle it in and keep the peace. Confrontation makes me uncomfortable. But if something bothers me, it eats away at me and I have to speak my mind. And as soon as I get it out, I feel better and want it all to go away.

But ofcourse it doesn’t work that way. If you say your piece, expect a rebuttal. And then it’s just a whole lotta blows back and forth or if you're lucky, understanding, compromise and reconciliation. And since I hate clashes and the tension that comes along with it, I’m usually the one who apologizes. Whether I’m in the wrong or right, if I care enough about the person it doesn’t matter.

Some might ask why bring up the issues in the first place then, but its all done in the hope that it’ll be resolved quickly and the problem will go away. Sometimes it does- that's good. Other times it escalates the problem and then there are times when it does nothing. The problems are still there and you begin to realize some people are not worth it. If your most sincere efforts are rewarded with hostility, then it only validates your sense that this is not working for you any longer. As I say time and time again, cut your losses where your returns are low.

Don’t worry about anyone who wont worry about you. At the same time, know when to let go of things, especially if fighting feels like you're cutting your nose to spite your face. Not all faults have to be pointed out.  Always be objective. 

Basically it's just about thinking if being without a person will be beneficial (in the long term) to you or will it make you unhappy. And go from there. 

2 comments:

hamzah said...

Like your blog and your writing. great stuff. love to learn more about you.

Sana.I.Patel said...

thanks for the support :) how did u come across it? please spread the word...

Post a Comment