Thursday, January 20, 2011

"It's all down to you, mate." ~John Lennon

I think I’m someone who dwells on the past. Well maybe dwell isn’t the right word. It’s more like, whatever mistakes I made I never forget them. I learnt lessons that changed me in every way possible. Some experiences have completely changed the way I think.

In the past year I’ve definitely become more “liberal” in certain aspects of my life. I had accepted that the way I thought before was self-destructive. I was naïve and took everything seriously. Being carefree and laid back is actually very exhilarating. The little things don’t get me down and the disappointments are definitely fewer.

But I met someone whose reasoning is like that of my former self and it has made me realize something. Yes, it was fine to be less rigorous about minor matters but when it comes to morals and values and boundaries you set for yourself, I don’t think others should influence you. Especially if they want you to sacrifice those principles. Just because they are immoral and depraved, doesn’t mean you have to be.

This someone showed me there are people out there who will not only see eye to eye with you, but will also love and respect you for what you believe in.

I like being happy-go-lucky and relaxed- it really is exhausting to take everything seriously- but now I know if I get an ill feeling in my gut, I should consider if the issue’s worth taking lightheartedly.

“Mercy to living beings, self restraint, truth, honesty, chastity and contentment, right faith and knowledge, and austerity are but the entourage of morality.” ~Sila-Prabhrita

To this someone who made me realize that there was never anything wrong with the way I was, thank you. Even though you’re totally oblivious to the fact that you’ve helped me in such an extraordinary way, I hope someday to repay you.

“…you should never compromise who you are, your values or your morals.” ~Talib Kweli

Don’t forfeit yourself to please anyone.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Love and respect yourself first! Let them think what they want.

“You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection. ~Buddha


If anyone puts you down for being a self respecting, honourable person kindly tell him or her to fuck off. There it is. Crude, but to the point. I don’t want people to take advantage of any of you darlings!

Send them my way; I’ll fix ‘em up.

Keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment