I started watching this movie on Sunday
called "The Invention of Lies". They depict truthfulness in a very
negative light; showing that if people were always blatantly honest, it would
result in a dull, depressing world. I'm not yet sure how it ends but I already
don't like it. They’re completely off base. There's a huge difference between
"not lying" and blurting out what one feels in an autistic manner.
Take this exchange for example:
“MARK:
Hi Shelley. I'm still attracted to you
today.
SHELLEY:
Hi Mark. Everyday I realize more and more
how over-qualified I am for this position and how incompetent you are at
yours.”
I mean how does that in anyway truly
reflect the virtue of honesty? Everyone coldly delivers, whether asked or not -
exactly what is on their mind. That’s not what honesty is. You don’t have to
hurt others with your candidness. Not in the unnecessary way shown in the film.
If that were how it was then obviously everyone would prefer lying to the
truth. It’s what the Devil would want you to believe. That’s all I’m saying!
I still have to get through the rest of it but I doubt it will get any better. Apparently the concept of “no lying” also means that no religion exists. Religion is not a lie! That’s a despicable thought!!!
“Religion is to do right. It is to love,
it is to serve, it is to think, it is to be humble.”
I know you might be thinking “it’s just a
movie” but gosh, movies influence people. And this one’s doing it in all the
wrong ways!!!
Nevertheless I don’t know if it’s related
in any way but I had one of those disturbing but insightful dreams last night.
All about truth. Facing it and how people handle it. Fact vs. What we want to
believe. Reality vs. Idealism. And the sting it can leave behind.
So in my dream, there were these people searching for answers and when they got them, they were worse off than before. They were devastated. They would have been better of not knowing. That gave me some perception on a situation I’m in. I think sometimes ignorance IS bliss. Why burden others when they’d be happier without the weight of your problems on their shoulders? I know a problem shared is a problem halved but what if it’s doubled instead? Sometimes a predicament needs to be forgotten, not discussed or remembered every time you see their looks of sympathy or hear their words of pity. So I guess it’s always honesty before lies and when necessary omission before honesty.
I know no matter what the situation is,
it’s never worth lying. But omitting truths to protect myself, to protect
others and to preserve privacy? Surely it can’t be a bad thing?
Is that deceptive? Does that put me in the
ranks of a liar?
I’d like to hear your opinion.
Keep reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment